Most likely, you already know the benefits of running a blog on your small business’s website – increased credibility, a foolproof way to build an engaging relationship with your audience, and, of course, fresh content for Google to index. We don’t need to convince you. But, like a ten-year-old who moans and groans when told to clean their room, the thought of finding time to sit down and actually write a blog post can be the most daunting part of the task itself.
If you’re stuck on a tight deadline and need to write a blog for your Vartuoso website, check out these helpful tips for producing high-quality content efficiently.
- Set a due date. A strict deadline will motivate you and force you to prioritize.
- Get inspired. Think of a common problem your customers face or a timely topic within your industry. Ask around. Watch a documentary. Read up on the news. Remember: unique content drives more traffic.
- Select your topic. Pinpoint the intent of your blog. Are you giving readers general insight on a subject? Are you answering a specific question? Maybe there’s a niche term you want to clarify, or advice you want to give. Write what you know – don’t choose a topic you’re not interested in.
- Write your headline. Though it may be instinctive to save this until the very end, writing your headline (or multiple versions) first will keep you on-track as you compose your blog. Consider this statistic from Copyblogger: 80% of people will read your headlines, but only 20% of those people will read the rest of your content.
- Choose the right format. Depending on your blog’s topic, paragraph format from beginning to end doesn’t always work. Numbered lists, bulleted lists, large, pulled quotes, and imagery are ways to present content in an engaging, efficient way.
Once You’re Ready to Start Writing:
- Start with word vomit. First, write what you know – your stream of consciousness. These notes don’t have to make sense (it’s your first draft, after all.) Getting your thoughts out instead of attempting user-facing content immediately will make for much more relatable content in the end.
- Refine. Edit your content. Pinpoint areas where you can condense a few sentences into one concise thought. Keep paragraphs 2-3 sentences in length.
- Add a call-to-action. Learn more, Contact Us, Watch the Demo, Request a Pamphlet, Get a Quote, View Features – be sure to include a relevant action for your user within, or at the end of, your content.
- Update for SEO. Utilize your Yoast SEO plugin to optimize your blog for search engines and indexation. Need help? Contact your Vartuoso account manager for advice.
- Take a break. At a loss for words? Writer’s block? Go for a walk outside. Once your blood starts flowing, your creative juices will, too.
- Limit distractions. Write in an environment where you know you will be fully alert and focused.
- Keep it short and sweet. 300-550 words is the ballpark. A longer blog post does not mean a better blog post – always aim for quality over quantity.
- Keep a pen and notepad on you. Chances are you won’t be writing your blog post in one sitting (in fact, we advise against that!) The best ideas come to you when you least expect it, so be prepared for sudden revelations.
- Choose your most productive time of day. You know yourself best.
And most importantly,
- Write what you enjoy. Writing great content is never easy, but it becomes much easier when you write something that you’re passionate about.